Becoming Huggy

I am not a huggy person. I never have been. And having lived in Brazil where people not only hug, but kiss on the cheek even when meeting for the first time, it was something I learned to tolerate. After 30 years it even became second nature and I don't think too much about it anymore. But, I'm still not a huggy person.

With the COVID-19 crisis you would think that we non-huggers would be living the dream. And for a while it was even a welcome relief to practice social distancing, self-quarantine, sheltering in place...whatever you want to call it. A niece of mine even stated, "We introverts are doing just fine." Now, after three weeks of mandated stay at home orders, it's getting old even for those of us who actually prefer a little social distance.

I am certainly glad for all the online options of "church going." There are at least a dozen a day in my Facebook feed to choose from and all of them are sound and good. Sunday services are streaming live from many churches which gives us continuity because we are meeting at the same time we would on a regular Sunday morning. 

But, it's not the same. At least not for me. I miss going to church and seeing people, talking with them and, yes, even hugging them. Fellowship is such a vital part of the nature of the church that the writer of Hebrews even mentioned it.  "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." (Heb. 10:24-25, ESV) I am looking forward to being back at church and fellowshipping in person with the body of Christ.

This has also reminded me of all the conversations I had with people who preferred to stay home and watch church on television. They always said it was the same as being at church. I will now be able to say to them with overwhelming confidence that it is not the same. Not even close. It's lonely. 

Obviously, there are times we should worship alone. There are times we need to pull away from society and just be with God. However, worshiping with the saints is a whole other matter and should not be neglected. We help each other grow, we encourage each other, and we even correct each other when necessary. The person who sits at home watching the television church is missing out on a lot. Those of us who are church goers need to tell them that.

But, for now, at least until the end of April and possibly beyond, I will be content to sit at home and worship during the online service. I will even record some video lessons for children and women like so many others. I will watch the videos that come up in my Facebook feed. But I will be so excited on the day I finally get to go back to church. I'll be able to worship with the group, talk to them and I will hug as many as I can because it will be so good to see them again.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Renate! As a fellow "non hugger", I can relate! When I lost Vince, I was never hugged so much in all my life...and I needed it and welcomed it. Then comes COVID19. My introverted self initially relished in the idea of social distancing. I got busy with projects and to do lists, and was content with the streamed church service Community Bible offered! But now, third week in I am so looking forward to going back and worshipping with my congregation... and giving lots of hugs! Thanks again for your perspective!

      Delete
  2. I was glad to read your blog. I also am one who has always cherished solitary times but learned to also need fellowship with believers. I appreciated your comments regarding the need for togetherness in the church. God made us for community; all the Scriptures are written with that mentality and we do well to keep in touch with each other. I am thankful for my daughter and son-in-law living next door who keep close touch with me. I continue to pray for you for the Lord's leading regarding your future ministry. I am certain that He has a place for you and your talents. As to hugs--I was not brought up that way but my daughters and their families have taught me as well as people in my former church. --Wayne McAllester

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Walmart Experience

Skipping Sunday

When a Church goes Above and Beyond