Thanks for the Memories

        Just a few years ago my high school, John F. Kennedy High School in Taylor Michigan, was closed -- permanently. Last year it was torn down to allow the city to build one central school for the area. I've seen pictures of the rubble and my heart hurts a little bit. A few of my classmates were able to find something in the piles of concrete and bricks to take home with them -- a little reminder of the big memories.

Then yesterday I saw the announcement the college I attended, Clarks Summit University (formerly Baptist Bible College), is closing its doors. Jackson Hall with its long, cobbled hallways, worn down by years of foot traffic will gather dust. The bell tower that chimed every quarter hour and played hymns and Christmas carols will be silenced. The rotunda where the choir gathered to sing just before leaving for Spring Tour won't echo voices anymore. And the library which was housed in the monastic chapel in my day, won't amplify the whispers of students conversing while studying.

The memories, though . . . I'll have those for a lifetime. I'll remember my first day of 10th grade and the white painter's overalls I wore. I'll remember my German teacher, Mrs. Denchfield, who was German herself and an excellent educator. I'll remember the float parties during the summer when we made thousands of flowers from paper napkins for homecoming in the fall. We won the float contest our junior and senior years. 

I'll remember the football and basketball games. I was in the band and paid little attention to the games themselves unless one of my crushes was playing. I'll also remember singing the National Anthem at the beginning of basketball games my senior year. 

And I'll remember my girlfriends, boyfriends and best friends, people I've been able to reconnect with thanks to Facebook. I went to my 40th class reunion last year and had conversations with people I hadn't seen since graduation day. Speaking of graduation day, I sang the Alma Mater, heard speeches from the valedictorian and salutatorian, received my diploma, turned the tassel, and said goodbye. We all went in different directions. I went to Bible college where I made more memories.

At BBC's freshmen orientation weekend, I made new friends. They were from places all over the world. My roommate was a missionary kid from Bangladesh. Suitemates came from Pennsylvania and New York.  I climbed the stairs to the 4th floor of Jackson Hall for Old Testament Survey. My friend and I would run the stairs at night to keep in shape and blow off steam. 

There were soccer games on the weekends. I sat by the giant anchor so I could watch my future husband play in his fullback position. I remember the day he fell and got a concussion. It put him out of play for the rest of the season.

So, while I won't be able to visit the buildings that housed my education, I'll have the memories of it. The good ones, the not so good ones, the learning experiences, the relationships, the teachers, and professors will be with me forever. I'll cherish them and reminisce from time to time to keep them alive. I don't ever want to forget some of the most important years of my life.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you for your thoughts, Renate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful read Renate😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing with us. The past is God's way of giving us a testimony, Ps.40:1-4 God is Awesome, thank you for serving God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I didn't know

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Walmart Experience

Skipping Sunday